Monday, August 06, 2007

Experimentation in process

With a week of feasting ahead of us, Selene and I decided to save some money today by foregoing our usual Sunday lunch out in the city. Instead, we caught a ride back home and prepared lunch for ourselves. Whipping up something up for lunch has always been a simple affair for us since we pack sandwiches to school (to avoid eating the expensive and un-appetizing food in school). So this time round, with free beer in our fridge and left-over flour (kind donations from the Uni Mews BBQ and Dr Li) we decided to have a go at the beer batter fish recipe that I got from my Mom a while back.

So while Selene peeled the potatoes (we had to have some fries), I started preparing the batter according to the recipe my mom gave me only to find that it didn’t make much sense, as the proportions were really weird. With no other alternative, I had to go by ‘feeling’, adding a little beer each time, and a spoonful of flour till I got the amount and thickness I wanted.

Result: Didn’t turn out as we expected. Somehow we didn’t manage to produce those type of fish and chips with thick batter coverings. But nevertheless I guess it was worth the try..

p.s. you would see in the photos below that we cooked prawns too. Yeah this was because I made so much batter so why let it go to waste? (some still did but not much).

















The other dish we tried/attempted today was pumpkin soup. Bought half a pumpkin and some leek yesterday intending to try our hand at making creamy pumpkin soup. However, we didn’t have any recipe to go by so we just verbally asked a friend how we should do it; and she was kind enough to tell us how..

RESULT:
Well, it was alright I guess. We couldn’t eat too much at a go as we felt really ‘je lak’ after a while (even though we didn’t put any cream into it). However, we did try to eat pumpkin soup with some biscuits and that was pretty good too.


Have a look at the process its really quite funny. =)


1 comment:

:: dotz :: said...

ooh!! gracie grace... can i have the beer batter fish recipe, pretty please? =) thank you!