Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Divorce

Since my work timings are pretty erratic, I have not been keeping myself updated with the news recently. Even finding time to read the articles by the fav. writer has been quite a challenge. 

So yesterday, I brought the Sunday Times to work so that I could do some quick catching up with the current news, one of which was this huge article on dividing matrimonial assets during a divorce. 

It was a full page article giving advice on what couples should do before a divorce to guard themselves from problems should a divorce occur. It wrote with a preventive angle, on the stand that divorce may and can happen and you should protect yourself from it. so that you will have enough money for yourself and your ex-partner does not end up having more than he/she deserves. 

My thoughts after reading the article: 
Since divorce and the length of the article didnt interest me, I brushed and skimmed through the article. But I re-read it throughly on the way home and I was quite affected and troubled by what the article was encouraging. My first 'feeling' as a reader of the article was that it was telling couples and singles alike to be protecting yourself and not trusting in the marriage. 

However, if we begin with such a thinking of our marriage or even about married life as a single, that our marriage may result in divorce and we need to think about and carry out the actions as suggested in the article, arent we just allowing thoughts of divorce into our lives? 

I dont believe in divorce. And since I'm getting married soon, I ask myself whether I would take the steps suggested in the article just to protect myself. My answer is a big fat NO. Call me naive or stupid. While I believe some of the pointers will be done by me as just a record of our expenses but definitely not as a proof of how much maintenance I need. 

As Christians, the doc and I dont believe in divorce cos God created marriage to last. Where two become one flesh at the point where your marriage vows are exchanged. God says, 'I hate divorce' (Malachi 2:16). It is also said that let not marriage be broken by anyone for it is pleasing in His eyes. 

Yes, marriage is tough, difficult to make two separate people live harmoniously together.  It's alot easier being single I feel. But with God in the center of the whole situation, where is the need to consider divorce? to consider separation? 

No comments: