Friday, December 19, 2008

What is romance?

Definition of Romance \rō-ˈman(t)s, rə-; ˈrō-ˌ\
Function: noun

1 a (1): a medieval tale based on legend, chivalric love and adventure, or the supernatural (2): a prose narrative treating imaginary characters involved in events remote in time or place and usually heroic, adventurous, or mysterious (3): a love story especially in the form of a novel b: a class of such literature

2: something (as an extravagant story or account) that lacks basis in fact

3: an emotional attraction or aura belonging to an especially heroic era, adventure, or activity

4: love affair

5capitalized : the Romance languages

Scouring the internet for a definition of 'Romance' didnt give me sufficient answers to my question. What is romance?

If I were to ask you what romance is, I know I would get varied answers. Man think romance is nonsense while woman long for romance. It's one of those commonly written topics in books like, 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' books.

Is romance about roses, chocolates and sweet nothings? Is romance sustainable in a relationship? Is romance an idealistic concept that all woman should not entertain? Granted, romance has been extremely over hyped by film makers in Hollywood. But surely, romance does exists in this world even if its not as portrayed in films.

L.A. Hunter is apparently a romance expert and author and this is what she says,

'Romance is the creation of an atmosphere where she feels unconditional love and appreciation. You can turn down the lights, turn on the radio, take her by the hand and ask her to dance in the kitchen. That's romance.

Hand her a wild flower, ask her to go on a stroll with you and hold hands. That's romance. Get it? What is she feeling; at that moment she is the most important woman in the world, she feels appreciated and loved. Romance can even produce the butterflies in her stomach.'

Gals, do you agree? I do. I believe that romance can happen anywhere without costing much, without too much elaboration. It's the simple gestures that makes a woman feel loved that is considered romance. true some women out there might not agree with me about that but I believe that at the end of the it is the yearning to be loved and cherished by someone.. to be romanced...

No comments: