Friday, November 28, 2008

Peranakan Museum

Having heard good reviews of the museum, I decided to take the opportunity of visiting it last Saturday since admission into the museum was only S$2. Originally, I was supposed to meet my parents there. But since I was running late and meeting the doc after, I ended up going on my own which was totally fine by me too.

Armed with my usual garb (i.e. sunnies, camera - compact and SLR) I took the bus 36 all the way to City Hall and walked. Sponsored by Explore Singapore, this was part of a bigger event held at Singapore's 27 museums. There was food, a bazzar, face painting, balloon sculpting etc... something for all. But since I went only at about 3.30pm, most of the events were over.

Housed in the old Tao Nan School at Armenian Street, the Peranakan Museum houses artifacts of the Peranakan way of life. ‘peranakan’ which means ‘locally born’ is a Malay term which refers to communities that developed in Southeast Asia. Peranakan Chinese are descendants of Chinese traders who settled in Malacca and around the coastal areas of Java and Sumatra, as early as the 14th century. In the 19th century, the Peranakan Chinese, drawn by commerce, migrated to the bustling ports of Penang and Singapore. It is a unique hybrid culture that is still part of Singapore’s living heritage, very much seen in my family. Hence, visiting the museum was interesting for me since I have heard about the way of life or still witness them in my family.

Take for example,
1) the Sarong Kebaya, worn by the ladies or Nonyas as they are called. My grandma and grandaunt still own sarong kebayas, that they were on special occasions like weddings.


Though not used commonly on a daily basis, I have seen some of the crockery on display at home as well. design of these crockery show a Chinese influence as well on the Peranakan culture. Have a look.


If you guys are bored of wandering the aisles of shopping centers, or watching movies, I would recommend visiting museums in Singapore is another alternative. It's informative, quite affordable and cooling (i.e. aircon). Try it. =) Be a tourist in your own home country.

No comments: