Saturday, May 06, 2006

every vote counts!

1215hr, I voted .
My voting location? Chai Chee Secondary School. Parties in contest for my vote (and the whole EAST COAST GRC), PAP vs WP.

Actually I almost forgot about voting as I got ready to go out. My mom reminded me about it. "are you going to vote before you go?" She asked. "Oh yeah!" I quickly got changed and together with my sis (first time voters) we walked to Chai Chee Secondary.
Didnt really know what to expect at the polling station. Crowds? Hoards? Banners still being waved? Well, for those of you who are underage and do not have to vote, let me tell you, there were none.

It was surprisngly quiet and slow going. People were trickling in not by the hundreds but by the tens. Everything was in order of course. As you stepped into the school, we were greeted by presiding officers who will check your polling ticket against your IC. Once you've gone through that, off you go into the lane that has been demarked for you to follow into the canteen. In there you will see a simple setup of three lanes, in which you have been preassigned on your slip. So off you go into that lane to wait in line for your voting slip.

As you approach the table, your name is read out loud and clear and you are ticked off the list to be 'present' =) . 'You' are than passed on to the next person who will tear off a voting slip for you, not before he reads out your full name out and clear once again. As he tears it out, the serial number that is on your polling ticket is written down on the stub left behind in the booklet. (for what purpose i do not know, give them the benefit of the doubt ah)

You walk towards the flimsy looking 3 part partition temporarily set up and you vote. It's that simple. Fold it up afterward and drop it into the common, uniform brown rectangular box in the centre as you leave.

There. I've done it. I voted. I made a stand. Now it's time to see the counts and what the people say.

Heh heh.. but yeah lah ... it has been really interesting just following the general election news.

1 comment:

peanut said...

they write serial number so they will know if u vote for the opposition or not lah... at least i think so.. i want to vote! *sobs* anyhoots.. i think i quite like the song you sent... btw, dinner this week?