While reading 'Singapore's no. 1 fashion magazine' I chanced upon this article by Gladys Chung
"I saw it twice last week when I was shopping and I spotted it again yesterday. Like an ugly skirt on sale, the Bag Laddy stood out from a mile. In layman's terms, the Bag Laddy is a strapping male who slings his partner's teeny-weeny handbag across his broad shoulders in public.
I just don't get it. Don't their partners care about how ridiculous he really looks? Don't these women realise that he gets strange stares because men and handbags simply don't go together?
I guess some women (and men) don't know the difference between male chivalry and female tyranny. Let's set the facts straight then. According to the definitive Cambridge Dictionary, chivalry means "very polite and honourable behaviour, especially shown by men towards women".
In other words, a man who holds a door open for a woman because he reached it first is chivalrous. When he pulls out a heavy chair for her because she is in a constricting dress and practising chivalry. When he offers to carry her heavy groceries as they're slipping from her arms; its called chivalry.
Chivalrous behaviour befits a queen's knight. But the man who wears his partner's tiny handbag on his shoulder like a badge of honour when her hands are free - and she's feeling smug - is the queen's fool.
that's why whenever I hand over my bag to the boyfriend when I need the loo, I behave like a sheepish shoplifter. I'll look around furtively first to make sure nobody catches me in the act. after the coast is clear, I'll hand him the bag and make him stand in a corner so nobody will see him clutching that feminine thing (which harbours ....) and doubt his manhood. ..."
There is more to the article so go buy the magazine if you want to read the rest of the article. I don't agree with all the points mentioned but the basic gist of the story is..
1. Woman, don't make him carry your handbag (even if you need to go to the toilet.. that's what the hook behind the door is for)
2. Man, you love her and you want to do things for her. but seriously, carrying her handbag is a little much and not a very pleasant sight.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment