I’m back! The past 4 weeks have been extremely packed with work, assignments and just making sure I get enough sleep and rest so that I don’t fall ill in these past 4 weeks. Together with the fact that I don’t get Internet access at home on a regular basis, blogging has obviously been neglected…
Before I go into the story of working @ NCCU, getting this placement was a miracle in itself! You have no idea how much pain and trouble and problems I went through… I was posted to a hospital in the South actually (I live in the North). It would take me about 1.5 hrs just to get there even by car. I was in such a wreck. Things just seemed so impossible. I was frustrated with the school, frustrated with the situation. I had made plans to stay at Emma’s place in the city for 4 weeks so that it would be half the ride down. It was torturous thinking that was what I had to do.
But God is really good. On the very last day of school, a place opened up at the Northern which was the very one I wanted to choose! I tell you, I was so elated! I’m a bad writer and I cant just describe to you the relieve, the amazement, the wonder of how God did such a miracle!
On the first day of work, we were told the options available for us to work and I was actually very interested in working in the Mobile Support Team or MST for short. The MST is a multidisciplinary team comprises of social workers, nurses, doctors and sometimes a psychologist who have a network of clients/ consumers under their care. These consumers are all under the mental health act, suffering from some form of illness. Their role is to visit these people are living in the community in their homes, administering medication, helping with shopping, ensuring that they were alright. This was the one I was most interested in but I wasn’t allocated to it. I was disappointed initially but I silently told God, you brought me this far, I know you only have my interest at heart. I got allocated to CCU instead, a rehabilitation unit in which there are 9 houses on site in which 20 patients live and I am really so thankful for this place. Indeed God really knew what was best for me.
Although it’s an inpatient unit with 24 hours staff service, independent living is strongly encouraged. Most of the clients live in 2-3 bedroom houses, in which they are required to cook, clean and manage their life on their own. Health care staff are there to provide them support and education because the ultimate goal is for them to return to the community.
I really like the set-up at CCU. However, I’m not too sure whether I’m cut out for psychiatry. While things were pretty good and I quickly got into the hang on things, i’m not sure whether caring for ‘crazy’ people are my cup of tea. I guess only exposure and time will tell.
Friday, September 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment